Islamophobia is a dangerous and unique phenomenon that has become an ever increasing part of all of our lives though some of us may not be aware of it. It has existed since Muhammad (saws) began preaching the message of Pure Monotheism in Mecca. It is not an exaggeration to state in the face of overwhelming evidence that Islamophobia is one of the last accepted forms of racism, in the sense that it is racialized in the United States and is very alive in other Western nations.
At it’s worst Islamophobia can lead to violence such as genocide, murder, beatings, assault, arson, etc. At it’s most benign Islamophobia can lead to subtle forms of discrimination such as at the workplace or airport. A working definition of Islamophobia was provided by The Runnymede Trust that identified eight components they say define Islamophobia:
1) Islam is seen as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change.
2) Islam is seen as separate and ‘other’. It does not have values in common with other cultures, is not affected by them and does not influence them.
3) Islam is seen as inferior to the West. It is seen as barbaric, irrational, primitive and sexist.
4) Islam is seen as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism and engaged in a ‘clash of civilisations’.
5) Islam is seen as a political ideology and is used for political or military advantage.
6) Criticisms made of the West by Islam are rejected out of hand.
7) Hostility towards Islam is used to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society.
8) Anti-Muslim hostility is seen as natural or normal. ( “Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All” )
In response to this it is ever more urgent and important to bring together the disparate sources and websites that are documenting Islamophobia and Islamophobes in the USA and around the globe. In this regard there are some valuable sources on the internet and on the shelves. I will be listing them on this page.
Websites and Blogs:
Sites on Islamophobes:
(Note: This list is not an exact classification as many of these individuals can fit several categorizations below.)
Paul “Dave” Gaubatz
Khaled Abu Toameh
Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Bishop Keith Butler
Reverend Rod Parsley
Reverend O’Neal Dozier
Pastor John Hagee
Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu